Supplemental Student Loans for College | 09.16.10

Posted in Graduate Loans, Private Student Loans, Student Loans By Student Loan Network Staff

Often times, federal loans just aren’t enough to pay for the full gamut of education expenses in college. In my personal experience, federal aid usually covered about 70% of my tuition/fees, but I had to seek alternative financing for the other 30%.

A supplemental student loan (also known as a private loan) can help in this department by covering up to your full cost of attendance. This can include costs such as off-campus housing rent, books, lab fees, a computer and of course, your tuition.

A supplemental loan is different from federal loans because it has a variable interest rate, usually based on the LIBOR index or Prime Interest Rate. The vast majority of loans fall between 2.8% – 10% APR*.

In addition, to be competitive with federal loans, many private lenders offer specialized incentives to make their products more enticing to borrowers. Some select examples of these would be co-signer release, graduation rewards and interest rate reductions.

We always recommend that you pursue federal options first, but if you still need more money for school, compare your private student loan options.

*This range is completely dependent on how each bank calculates its rates. Your milage may vary.


5 Most Recent Student Loans Blog Posts:


The Student Loan Help blog is sponsored in part by:


2 Responses to “Supplemental Student Loans for College”

  1. It's insane! says on October 31, 2012 at 12:34 am:

    I am in law school and you have to do gradplus just to get tuition, god forbid you want books or to pay rent!

    Reply To This Comment
  2. Anne says on September 21, 2010 at 10:37 am:

    I didn’t realize “supplemental student loans” were the same thing as private student loans. Thanks for clarifying this!

    Reply To This Comment

Leave a Reply

By clicking 'Submit Comment', you agree to the Edvisors Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.