Contacting your Student Loan Lender | 09.01.11

Posted in Consolidation, Graduate Loans, Private Student Loans, Stafford Loan By Student Loan Network Staff

If you borrowed tens of thousands of dollars from someone, knowing you would eventually have to pay them back, more than likely over several years, you would think the person from whom you borrowed would be a high priority. But amazingly, the vast majority of people who borrow thousands of dollars in student loans have no idea who their lender is.

Now granted, if you are still in school, it really doesn’t matter. Your lender only comes into play around repayment time. But if you have recently graduated college and are interested in consolidation or deferment, you may have to contact your lender. So let’s talk about how to do that.

If you have a federal student loan, such as Stafford, Perkins or PLUS, you can visit the National Student Loan Data System and enter your four-digit PIN number that you received when you filled out your FAFSA. If you don’t know your PIN, contact the Department of Education at 800.433.3242.

If you have a private student loan, you can either contact your school’s financial aid office, or request a copy of your credit report from Free Credit Report, which will list your outstanding loans and lenders.

5 Most Recent Student Loans Blog Posts:

The Student Loan Help blog is sponsored in part by:

One Response to “Contacting your Student Loan Lender”

  1. Peggy says on September 12, 2011 at 3:37 pm:

    This was informative.

    Reply To This Comment

Leave a Reply

By clicking 'Submit Comment', you agree to the Edvisors Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.