The Scholarship Scam | 03.24.09
Did you know that countless students fall prey to scholarship scams each year?
Estimates show that families lose millions of dollars to scholarship fraud. The College Scholarship Fraud Prevention Act protects against fraud. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) cautions students to look for these telltale lines.
- The scholarship is guaranteed or your money back
- You can’t get this information anywhere else
- I just need your credit card or banks account number to hold this scholarship
- You’ve been selected by a national foundation to receive a scholarship
- You’re a finalist (in a contest you never entered)
To file a complaint with the FTC, or for free information you can call 1-877-FTC-HELP.
Of course you may enter the big 10K giveaway at Scholarshippoints.com without any fear of fraudulent activity.
5 Most Recent Student Loans Blog Posts:
The Student Loan Help blog is sponsored in part by: