What is a Dislocated Worker? | 05.13.09

Posted in FAFSA, Financial Aid By Student Loan Network Staff

One of the new questions on the FAFSA this year (question 103) asks if you are a dislocated worker. But what is a dislocated worker? Let me clarify for you. You are a dislocated worker if you meet one of the following conditions;

- Lost your job or been laid off

- Are receiving unemployment benefits and are unlikely to return to a previous occupation (like a telephone switchboard operator)

- Are self employed but unemployed due to economic conditions or natural disaster

- Are a displaced homemaker – someone who previoulsy provided unpaid services to the family, like a stay at home parent, is no longer supported by a partner, and is having trouble finding a job.

»Learn more about dislocated workers for FAFSA

The FAFSA blog is sponsored in part by:

Five most recent FAFSA form help blog posts:

5 Most Recent Student Loans Blog Posts:

The Student Loan Help blog is sponsored in part by:

5 Responses to “What is a Dislocated Worker?”

  1. Maria says on November 17, 2011 at 3:42 am:

    Actually if she is still considered your dependent (which means, you are claiming her on your income tax), then she will not receive a pell grant. If she was someone that was living on her own and no one claimed her, then I believe she would get the grant. Unfortunately, if you are claiming her on your taxes that means you are supporting her plus she makes $500 a month additional to how you support her. Good luck.

    Reply To This Comment
  2. drew says on July 27, 2010 at 3:08 am:

    is this ? asking about my job form that tax year or talking about this year, as in right now?

    Reply To This Comment
  3. Rosemary says on April 14, 2010 at 2:34 am:

    My daughter is 21. She is still a "dependant" on the FAFSA. IS she a "dislocated worker "since she is self employed but due to economic conditions is not working fulltime as there are no jobs and now going back to school? She is self employed but can only find work for two hrs a day and is earning $500 a month due to economic conditions. She needs financial aid for school, but we didnt see this question til read your blog and they are saying she does not qualify for Pell grant due to my income. HElppppppp

    Reply To This Comment
  4. Clea says on March 22, 2010 at 5:25 pm:

    No it will help you

    Reply To This Comment
  5. kathy says on February 19, 2010 at 6:45 am:

    thx for the definition~~but is being a "dislocated worker" going to negatively affect my FAFSA result?

    Reply To This Comment

Leave a Reply

By clicking 'Submit Comment', you agree to the Edvisors Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.