Have you considered teaching? | 06.04.10

Teaching Schools | EdvisorsFrom personal experience, I know as well as anyone that picking a major can be difficult – both at the undergraduate and graduate levels. You probably have tons of different interests, feel somewhat unfocused and want to find some direction.

One idea I’d like to pose to you is going to school to be a teacher. If your first reflex is to say, “Oh teachers don’t make any money!”, that urban myth is entirely unfounded in modern times. Just the other evening, I was looking over average salaries for high school teachers in Massachusetts, and there were maybe 2 or 3 schools out of a list of hundreds that had averages below $50,000 annually.

$50,000 per year, average. Even better, keep in mind that high school teachers usually only work 10 months a year… so you even get a built-in vacation to sweeten the deal. The salaries for college professors is undoubtedly even higher, so having advanced degrees can position you for some excellent earning potential.

Of course, there are a lot of soul-searching psychological aspects to teaching as well that should be kept in mind. Being a teacher is a huge responsibility: you’re not only imparting knowledge, but also contributing to the development of other human beings. There are many roles a teacher must play – instructor, mentor, counselor – and you need to be prepared and 100% willing to give it your all.

There also are a lot of financial aid benefits to being a teacher. Did you know that public service can get your federal loans forgiven (as in, any remaining balance is deleted from your account) in 10 years? If you selected a repayment plan like income based repayment, this means your payments will be low and manageable from day one and if you are not delinquent during the 10 years, the rest of your federal loans get canceled. Crazy awesome, if you ask me.

These are just a few of the benefits allotted to public school teachers… by all means, do some research and thinking. If you believe teaching is right for you, there are definitely many rewarding experiences waiting for you.

Scholarship Points Members: BEATEACHER – Expires July 4, 2010

354 Responses to “Have you considered teaching?”

1. Asyia says on July 2, 2010 at 1:15 pm:

rite now my major is pre-med if something happened and i change my mind then i will defintley do teaching.

2. Jessi says on July 2, 2010 at 12:39 pm:

I cannot stand kids. I think I'll stick with chemistry.

3. capria says on July 2, 2010 at 11:14 am:

i am definitely going to do it

4. Kelsey says on July 2, 2010 at 6:28 am:

Thank you for this most informative article. Applying and hunting for applicable scholarship opportunity is time consuming and becomes frustrating after three years of applying and nothing to show for it. The fafsa is a wonderful tool for those who actually qualify. It appears on paper that my parents make enough money but this is their retirement which has now been depleted and I still cannot get aid.

5. Vicky says on July 2, 2010 at 6:12 am:

I love to teach, I guess you would say that I desire correctness and the only way I know to do that is to teach people the correct way of doing something. Teaching also helps enhance my knowledge.

6. ash says on July 2, 2010 at 12:04 am:

teaching is actually a wonderful career but you have to have a real passion for it, otherwise its gonna be a pain. Children can be harsh!

7. Kimberly Timmons says on July 1, 2010 at 9:38 pm:

I am considering the idea of being a teacher! My mom is a teacher and she enjoys it!

8. Becky says on July 1, 2010 at 7:48 pm:

I've considered teaching, but it's more of a back up plan for me

9. Sarah says on July 1, 2010 at 7:11 pm:

I want to be a photographer
    but in my highschool there is a digital photography class
    so maybe one day i'll teach it…. im not sure yet

10. Chad says on July 1, 2010 at 6:09 pm:

Teaching is something I have always thought about, but seems to be not for me. It requires a lot of patience and grading and time away from your job. I have pursued other opportunities meanwhile

11. Paige says on July 1, 2010 at 3:45 pm:

I would not be able to deal with the parents and having to discipline the students!

12. Jacie says on July 1, 2010 at 3:13 pm:

Parents, friends, and school teachers are the most influential people in the lives of young children and teenagers. I first desired to teach high school level bands but am now thinking about teaching elementary level music and arts, along with english or math. I love kids! They say funny things and have such sweet hearts. I really want to lead kids in the right direction so that someday they can make effective choices for themselves with the knowledge they gain. In making such a difference, I can’t believe I would feel less gratified in my life knowing I could have made a bit more cash doing something else. Of course, everyone has a different passion. Teaching is a great responsibility that is not for everyone. It takes much practice. I admit it. I am terrified!!! There is so much commitment and expectation involved in all levels of teaching. Many times will be hard to handle. But that’s simply life :)

13. Simone says on July 1, 2010 at 2:48 pm:

Teaching is my chosen major for college i inted on becoming a teacher of high school mathematics

14. Amanda says on July 1, 2010 at 2:12 pm:

I'm definitely STRONGLY considering it!!

15. Mary says on July 1, 2010 at 1:36 pm:

I used to teach swimming lessons. Even though some of the children were a little challenging; it was extremely rewarding. I think if you are interested in teaching it is definitely a great way to help other people reach their full potential.

16. Caitlan says on July 1, 2010 at 1:07 pm:

I think it would be fun to teach the young minds of America, but being a teenager myself and seeing first hand what some of the people my age are like, I wouldn't want to teach the up and coming younger generations.

17. Stephen says on July 1, 2010 at 10:10 am:

I love teaching but not necessarily considering becoming a teacher. However if I were to be a teacher, I will like to be a Science teacher because I love sciences not just because I know it but because the lives of my science teachers proved to be enough motivation to embracing the profession.

18. Danyell says on July 1, 2010 at 2:52 am:

I love my teachers, though I prefer not to become one.

19. Krystal says on June 30, 2010 at 10:58 pm:

Im considering teaching and i think it will be a great thing for me to learn, and i love to be around kids, and love challenge! im looking forward to receiving my degree for teaching!!!!

20. Mary says on June 30, 2010 at 6:40 pm:

I like to teach, but I don't think I would ever at a school.

21. vesta says on June 30, 2010 at 4:54 pm:

teaching isnt for me

22. Daft says on June 30, 2010 at 4:38 pm:

Rather be a Nuclear engineer

23. Madeline says on June 30, 2010 at 2:55 pm:

i want to teach special education because i want help those who need more help than others

24. Daniela says on June 30, 2010 at 1:57 pm:

nope pay is too low!

25. mik says on June 30, 2010 at 11:43 am:

im not a teaching person