Have you considered teaching? | 06.04.10

Posted in College Admissions, College Life, Financial Aid, Graduate Loans By Student Loan Network Staff

Teaching Schools | EdvisorsFrom personal experience, I know as well as anyone that picking a major can be difficult – both at the undergraduate and graduate levels. You probably have tons of different interests, feel somewhat unfocused and want to find some direction.

One idea I’d like to pose to you is going to school to be a teacher. If your first reflex is to say, “Oh teachers don’t make any money!”, that urban myth is entirely unfounded in modern times. Just the other evening, I was looking over average salaries for high school teachers in Massachusetts, and there were maybe 2 or 3 schools out of a list of hundreds that had averages below $50,000 annually.

$50,000 per year, average. Even better, keep in mind that high school teachers usually only work 10 months a year… so you even get a built-in vacation to sweeten the deal. The salaries for college professors is undoubtedly even higher, so having advanced degrees can position you for some excellent earning potential.

Of course, there are a lot of soul-searching psychological aspects to teaching as well that should be kept in mind. Being a teacher is a huge responsibility: you’re not only imparting knowledge, but also contributing to the development of other human beings. There are many roles a teacher must play – instructor, mentor, counselor – and you need to be prepared and 100% willing to give it your all.

There also are a lot of financial aid benefits to being a teacher. Did you know that public service can get your federal loans forgiven (as in, any remaining balance is deleted from your account) in 10 years? If you selected a repayment plan like income based repayment, this means your payments will be low and manageable from day one and if you are not delinquent during the 10 years, the rest of your federal loans get canceled. Crazy awesome, if you ask me.

These are just a few of the benefits allotted to public school teachers… by all means, do some research and thinking. If you believe teaching is right for you, there are definitely many rewarding experiences waiting for you.

Scholarship Points Members: BEATEACHER – Expires July 4, 2010

354 Responses to “Have you considered teaching?”

1. Devan says on June 30, 2010 at 9:48 am:

not a teaching person….

2. Jovi says on June 30, 2010 at 7:54 am:

I've had a lot of experience tutoring/teaching children at the elementary-aged level. Kids are cute and funny, but they're just harder to deal with because they're so young and not well-disciplined. At some point in my life, I would like to teach high school health courses. I am a recent college grad and I am thinking about obtaining a masters degree in public health.

3. Amy says on June 30, 2010 at 12:22 am:

Teaching as a part-time in my church sounds great to me but not as a full career.

4. dtra says on June 29, 2010 at 7:37 pm:

eh

5. Amanda says on June 29, 2010 at 6:37 pm:

Teaching isn't for me. I want to be an art therapist.

6. britt says on June 29, 2010 at 3:40 pm:

Teachers have a huge influence in the shaping of lives– as my teachers throughout my life have shaped mine. I would become a teacher, and am actually considering it.

• Fatimat says on June 29, 2010 at 9:19 pm:

Teaching is a very rewarding career and teachers have a big impact in the lives of children

7. rayona says on June 29, 2010 at 3:01 pm:

Teaching is great but really not for me.

8. Monika says on June 29, 2010 at 6:55 pm:

Teachers can help students build their future and they have a lot of influence at every grade level, however, teaching is not for me… but I definitely respect all the motivators/teachers in my life.

9. Jessica says on June 29, 2010 at 6:05 pm:

i would never be able to teach….especially not children. i applaud everybody that can.

10. erin says on June 29, 2010 at 12:01 pm:

teaching is great but just not for me

11. Nancy says on June 29, 2010 at 10:46 am:

when i was younger, i wanted to be a teacher because my role model as a kid was a teacher. but now, as a high school student, i want to get a job that earns me good money and then be a teacher for fun.

12. Queen says on June 29, 2010 at 9:26 am:

I am determined to find a way to teach younger children, even with the financial issues. Hopefully, I will find a job with good benefits and paid vacations.

13. Racel says on June 29, 2010 at 9:08 am:

to obe a teacherit can not be about the money it is a passion for kids and watching tham learn. If your heart is not in it then you should not teach.

14. Brianna says on June 29, 2010 at 9:00 am:

teaching has been my one dream for my whole life. ever since i knew what a teacher was and what great role models they were. then when i really understood what i could teach and how i could teach it just made me love it more. i want to teach music!

15. Evie Gomez says on June 29, 2010 at 7:56 am:

I was actually going into teaching but even with increase of pay that is not for all states like Florida. Please don't get me wrong but living of an Teacher budget is not easy and benefits aren't either plus the teacher students ratios are going higher and you need to get many of your own supplies. It hard to be an educator and a role model. I have yet to make my mind and see if I change program.

16. sunny says on June 29, 2010 at 1:07 am:

Aw, I would love to be an art teacher if graphic design doesn’t work. Or even, both at the same time. But that’d put my bakery on hold, decisions, decisions. I’ll probably leave the bakery and spread art via children.

17. Para says on June 29, 2010 at 12:42 am:

Teaching is fun, but it requires a lot of responsibilities

18. Badria says on June 28, 2010 at 11:57 pm:

Teaching sounds appealing but i lack the patience one requires :(

19. Jeff K.. says on June 28, 2010 at 11:45 pm:

I want to teach music!

20. Edwin says on June 28, 2010 at 11:17 pm:

Teaching is good only if u have a will just like any other job.

21. kristin says on June 28, 2010 at 9:59 pm:

Interesting.

22. Michelle says on June 28, 2010 at 9:27 pm:

teaching is sumthin i wanted to do after another career. become the best in the field and then pass down my knowledge

23. cody says on June 28, 2010 at 9:09 pm:

I think teaching is cool, but if I teached I would have to substitue teach.

24. Mayra says on June 28, 2010 at 9:05 pm:

It's sounds like a good carrer through but I would rather be a counselor at a school to keep the students.

25. evans akpo says on June 28, 2010 at 8:53 pm:

Teaching is a very challenging profession to me, I love it because it helps to stimulate your mind and build in you a research and knowledge acquisition attitude.