14 Great Holiday Gifts for Students | 12.03.12
- External hard drive – This was a life-saver for me in college. There were a few times when my USB drives were corrupted and unusable. Backing up all of your papers and other files on an external hard drive will eliminate the headache of recovering any missing files down the road.
- Digital camera – A digital camera is always a great gift to document all those college memories. High School seniors will also appreciate this as their senior year winds down.
- Noise-canceling headphones – College is…loud. Whether studying in the library or trying to sleep when there’s a party down the hall, these are great for all students.
- Laptop – This might be a little pricey for a holiday gift, but take advantage of sales this season. If you decide to pick out technology for your student, make sure know what features they’ll need beforehand! Computers with good graphics cards and a lot of RAM are great for streaming movies or playing video games, as well as the basics like word processing.
- Professional clothing – A nice suit or a variety of button-up shirts are always great. College brings a lot of events, from presentations to interviewing for internships, these are things you want to have on hand, ready to go.
- Portfolio – This is in line with the previous item. A serious student needs a serious portfolio for interviews. It looks much better to break out a portfolio at an interview rather than that manilla folder.
- AAA membership – If your student has a car on campus, a AAA membership is great! You can sleep tight knowing your son or daughter can always get help with that flat tire. Plus, AAA members can get exclusive discounts on everything from clothing, to travel.
- First-aid kit – Simple, yet effective. Having a nice compact first-aid kit handy is always great in college, especially for athletes.
- College cookbook – While most students do just fine on the meal plans, sometimes you’re studying late into the night and need a snack. College cookbooks are great because they account for a student’s limited resources.
- Books for success – There are a lot of books out there that are great for students either in college, or getting ready for college. Books like The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey or Navigating Your Freshman Year by Students Helping Students can be great gifts to help students make the most of their college experience.
- Netflix subscription – Netflix is a great gift for college students because they can stream shows whenever they want. Plus, the DVD service is great for throwing together a movie night in the dorms!
- Board games – No better way to make friends than to have games at your disposal. My personal favorite was catchphrase, because it was great for large groups, and compact enough that you could carry it around easily.
- Gift cards to local shops – Is there a particular coffee shop near campus students love? Getting a gift card to these local places is a great ice-breaker to the college area.
- Photo albums and frames – No holiday gift list would be complete without a little sentiment. Photo albums and frames are a great gift for your students to bring back to college. What’s even better? A framed collage of friends, family, and pets!
5 Most Recent Student Loans Blog Posts:
The Student Loan Help blog is sponsored in part by: