01.27.11 | Most popular student loans for college

Not everyone is aware of all the loan options available to pay for college. Here are just a few to consider:

1) Federal Stafford Loans – These are federally guaranteed student loans. You can apply for subsidized Stafford loans and the government will pay the interest for you while you are enrolled. This is a great option for students and the most popular loan program available.

2) Parent PLUS Loans – The Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students allows parents to borrow through the federal loan program to pay for their child’s education. The loan is in the parent’s name.

3) Private Student Loans – Private college loans are not sponsored by the government but offer an alternative sources of funds for those that may not qualify for federal aid or who need additional funds. Private school loans are often in the students name with the parent acting as a cosigner.

4) Perkins Loan – Perkins loans are another federal loan for low income students based on eligibility. These loan funds are limited so apply early.

5) Credit Cards – Believe it or not, approximately 30% of students/parents put a portion of the tuition bill on their credit card. While we don’t recommend this option, it is a reality. Once you graduate, consider consolidating your student loans to lower your monthly payment. The downside is you will pay more interest over the life of the loan by extending your repayment period. For additional resources, visit: www.studentloans.com, www.collegeloansolutions.com and www.gradloans.com.

12.14.09 | In School Deferment of Federal Student Loans

Posted in Graduate Loans, Student Loan Links by Student Loan Network Staff

While you are in college you are not required to make any payments on your federal student loans. These loans do not go into repayment until you graduate. However, in particular instances your lender might not know you are in school and put your loans into repayment. In these cases you need to fill out an In School Deferment Form.

When to fill out an In School Deferment Form:

1: If you transferred schools

2: If you took time off from school and decide to go back

3: If you are going to graduate school

Where to send your In School Deferment Form:

You should send the form directly to your lender. If you do not know who your lender is you can contact the Department of Education’s Borrower Tracking Department at 800.433.3243. They will be able to tell you exactly where to send your form.

ScholarshipPoints Bonus Code:  INSCHOOL

11.23.09 | Mandatory Forbearance Circumstances

Posted in Stafford Loan, Student Loan Links by Student Loan Network Staff

Did you know there are a few mandatory forbearance situations you may qualify for?

  • if you are in a medical or dental internship residency;
  • have student loan payments that are 20 percent or more of your monthly income;
  • or have payments being made by the Department of Defense

Keep in mind that forbearance is not automatic and that you must apply with your lender to qualify.

11.16.09 | Debt Relief for Law School Grads

Posted in Graduate Loans, Private Student Loans, Student Loan Links by Student Loan Network Staff

Law School GraduationDebt relief could be on the horizon for recent law school graduates. The American Bar Association has proposed extending debt relief to law school graduates who have not been able to find a job because of the recession. While most unemployed graduates can already defer their federal loans or qualify for income based repayment, the ABA’s proposition suggests letting graduates convert their private loans into federal loans so that they can receive the same benefits.

Many law school students graduate with $50,000 to $100,000 worth of debt. Most of this debt comes from a combination of federal and private loans. Private loans can rarely be deferred because of unemployment or economic hardship like federal loans can. The ABA is proposing allowing students to borrow additional money from the government to pay off their private loans. This would leave them with an additional federal loan that they could defer for up to three years or roll into their income based repayment plan.

This plan is in infancy stages and no one knows exactly how it would be accomplished. However, if passed it would definitely be a huge help to many law school graduates who might otherwise default on their private loans and hurt their credit forever.

09.11.09 | How Does Academic Probation Affect My Federal Aid?

Posted in Repayment, Scholarships, Student Loan Links by Student Loan Network Staff

Academic probation may cost you your federal aid, or worse, your enrollment in that institution.

Satisfactory academic progress standards are set by the post-secondary school you are attending, which means no one size fits all solution exists. The formal academic probation process at Southern Cal may be entirely different from that of Florida State. Generally speaking, however, academic probation is when your overall GPA has fallen below a 2.0. You are then given a semester to raise your cumulative GPA to above 2.0 (the probationary period). If you are unable to do so you may be sanctioned to financial aid suspension or dismissal from the school.

If a student is dismissed they will need to enter another school, raise their academic standing, and then apply for reinstatement. As for your federal aid, you remain eligible for aid during your probationary period, however, if you fail to reach the 2.0 marker your next semester will be in jeopardy. It is also important to note that you must complete a certain percentage of your classes as well – usually greater than 75 percent. So enrolling in 5 classes and then dropping two won’t cut it. The classes attempted vs. completed ratio is important.

Be sure to check with your school for more details. Remember, if you are in need of funds for school there are always scholarship opportinties worth exploring. ScholoarshipPoints is giving away over $100,000 in scholarship money this year.

08.10.09 | Don't Forget Your Stafford Loan Application

Posted in Student Loan Links by Student Loan Network Staff

As most know you must complete your FAFSA in order to qualify for any federal loans, including the Stafford, but many are not aware you must also sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) if wish to take out a Stafford loan (your FAFSA is merely the first step).

When you receive your awards letter from the school outlining the grants, scholarships, work-study program, and loans you are eligible for it is your responsibility to either accept the awards or complete your loan application(s). All the school does is inform you how much you are eligible for on the awards letter, but it is your responsibility to have those Stafford loan funds sent to the school. So how do you do that? Sign your MPN here.

08.03.09 | How Bankruptcy Effects Your Stafford Loan

Posted in Student Loan Links by Student Loan Network Staff

Stafford loans offer forgiveness potential to many borrowers. Among those forgiveness conditions include becoming permanently disabled, if the school you were attending closed before you could complete your degree program, identity theft, as well as public service employees and teachers who meet certain criteria, but what about bankruptcy?

If the court makes a ruling that repayment would cause “undue hardship” than your Stafford loans can be forgiven. This is a rarity, but it does happen.

07.27.09 | What is My Loan "Status"

Posted in Repayment, Student Loan Links by Student Loan Network Staff

Did you realize your Stafford loan may hold one of several statuses? The most common status these days is deferment (after you get out of school). Many can not afford to pay their student loans at this time so they are deferring their loans for a period of time. Stafford loans come equipped with up to three years worth of deferment time.

Knowing your status is very important. If you change schools, for example, you want to make sure you maintain your “in school” deferment status otherwise it may shift to “grace” meaning your loan will come due within six months time.

Just be sure to monitor your loan status. It could save you a lot of headaches later.

Possible Statuses

* in-School * deferment
* in-Military * forbearance
* grace * paid-in-full

* repayment-current

* suspended
* repayment-delinquent * default

07.14.09 | Key Republican Says ‘Fight Is Not Over’ on Student Loans

“Republicans haven’t given up on the guaranteed-loan program, Rep. John Kline of Minnesota said today. They have just been preoccupied with health care and other pressing issues,” The Chronicle of Higher Education reports. “‘I remain hopeful we can keep some private capital in this and keep the private sector involved,’ the new top Republican on the House education committee told three higher-education reporters in an interview. ‘We’re not rolling over.’”

06.25.09 | What qualifies for a "mandatory" forbearance?

Posted in Repayment, Student Loan Links by Student Loan Network Staff

There are certain mandatory forbearances. Examples include borrowers who:

  • are in a medical or dental internship or residency;
  • have student loan payments that are 20 percent or more of their monthly income;
  • have payments being made for them by the Department of Defense

Contact your lender or loan-servicing agent for more information on the mandatory forbearance benefit.