International Student Loans

Many students from around the world choose to obtain a college degree from a school in the United States. Conversely, many U.S. students look to spend a semester abroad. Both sets of students have access to a series of financial aid options.

Options for International Students Studying in the U.S.

Alternative Loans for International Students

International students attending college in the United States are not eligible for any federal direct loans including Stafford loans, PLUS loans and Perkins loans. However, they are eligible to obtain an alternative student loan to study in the United States. To receive a loan, they will need a cosigner who is a U.S. citizen to cosign the loan. International alternative student loans allow you to defer payments until after graduation and borrow up to the true cost of your attendance. They also have flexible repayment terms and a .25% interest rate reduction for having payments automatically withdrawn from your checking account.

Options for Resident Students Studying Abroad

Federal Loans for Studying Abroad

US students studying abroad or who are enrolled in an approved school overseas can apply for federal student aid, just as they did if they were attending a U.S.-based.

To apply for a federal direct student loan, you first must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Renewal FAFSA. If you have not already submitted your FAFSA, you can complete the FAFSA online at

Alternative Loans for Studying Abroad

U.S. students may also apply for an alternative student loan to study abroad. Depending on their credit, they are subject to varying interest rates and may require a cosigner. Get started by comparing your alternative student loan options today.

International Student Resources